INTERVIEW WITH A THRU HIKER(Animal)


Continental Divide Trail 16

Interview With A Thru-hiker

Trail Name : Animal

2016CDT
26.03.2017

0. Talk about yourself?

Hi my name is James. I am fairly new at hiking in general. I did not start until 2010. I have been working and hiking in the Yellowstone ecosystem since then. I started the CDT on April 8th 2016 and finished on September 27th 2016. I acquired my trail name Animal while I was hiking the CDT.
Continental Divide Trail 16

1. Why did you decide to hike the CDT?

I have lived in the Rocky Mtn. region most of my life and for a long time been fascinated with the Continental Divide. Once I found out there is a trail I just knew I had to do it.

2. How many miles you cover when hiking?


I averaged between 20 to 30 miles a day.

Continental Divide Trail 16

3. Tell me about the memorable episode

There are soooo many memories,  but climbing Mt. Albert was special. It was the first time I hiked over 14,000 feet. Another memorable experience was hiking 30 miles in one day in Glacier National Park.

4. What was your favorite part of the experience?

Starting so low to getting so high over and over.
Continental Divide Trail 16

5. What is the hardest part of hiking?

The hardest part for me was doing the miles necessary on a daily basis to stay on schedule. I consider myself a slow thru hiker and it took me all day to do the miles.

6. Do you think people get addicted to thru hiking?

Yes it definitely changes a person.
Continental Divide Trail 16

7. What are trail angels and what is trail magic?

Trail angels are people that help hikers out along the trail. Trail magic is what angels do to help hikers out like give them food and drinks or a place to stay.

8. Did you try other long distance trail? what is the difference between CDT and Others?

The CDT is the only thru hike I have done.
Continental Divide Trail 16

9. What lesson you learn on hike?

I learned so much on the trail and faced some fears, it's really hard to narrow it down to one lesson.

10.  Any tips for aspiring or current thru hikers?

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Continental Divide Trail 16

11. Any new hikes planned?

As of right now no new thru hikes are planned but there is talk of doing the PCT in the future. Now this summer in Yellowstone I am going to hike my butt off.



Thanks to Animal for sharing a big of his experience with us. We really appreciate the picture and story of your hike. I hope that Animal story gives you some inspiration, a sense of what it is to long distance trail the CDT
So, now what can we do?

Let's go hike!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment