INTERVIEW WITH A THRU HIKER(Scorpion)

Continental Divide Trail 16

Interview With A Thru-hiker

Trail Name : Scorpion

2014PCT/2016CDT
23.03.2017

0. Talk about yourself?
My name is Elijah Spray(Scorpion). I am from Bozeman Montana. I successfully thru hiked the PCT in 2014 April 12th to September 16th. and the CDT in 2016 April 8th to September 27th.


Continental Divide Trail 16

1. Why did you decide to hike the CDT & PCT?

I love hiking and I was very overweight at about 320lbs and I had never left my home area, I then heard about the PCT and quickly decided to hike it. and after the best summer of my life on the PCT i wonted to try the CDT and did so as soon as I saved up enough money.

2. How many miles you cover when hiking?

My average comes up to about 25miles. a day when hiking with friends and more like 30+ when I'm by myself. my longest day on the PCT was 53 miles and my longest on the CDT was 43.

Continental Divide Trail 16

3. Tell me about the memorable episode

hiking 53 miles in one day to get to a all you can eat buffet  in Oregon. 

4. What was your favorite part of the experience?

On the PCT it was all my favorite just seeing someplace new was amazing even the desert. i grew up in Montana and had never really traveled before and everything even the mountains were new and exciting. 

Continental Divide Trail 16

5. What is the hardest part of hiking?

Foot pain I have lots of foot/ ankle injuries that have made long distance hiking a challenge. 

6. Do you think people get addicted to thru hiking?

Absolutely.

Continental Divide Trail 16

7. What are trail angels and what is trail magic?

Trail magic is finding something you need or want in a place you would never think of. and trail angels are people that offer help to hikers food water rides and anything else you may need.

8. what is the difference between CDT and PCT?

The PCT in a complete trail witch means very little road walking, no bikes and no ATVs, just hikers and horses. The water is better and there are hardly any cows. The trail is also less steep. The CDT was more of a challenge because there was very few times we were on just a hiking trail, but there was more freedom to do your own thing.

Continental Divide Trail 16

9. What lesson you learn on hike?

I learned I can push myself much farther than I thought, and that America is a big country.

10. Any tips for aspiring or current thru hikers?

Take care of the woods and the trail, don’t party too much and respect the towns and the people in them, they don’t have to put up with hikers and they don’t owe us anything.

Continental Divide Trail 16

11. Any new hikes planned?

I want to hike the Hayduke trail this year.


Thanks to Scorpion for sharing a big of his experience with us. We really appreciate the picture and story of your hike. I hope that Scorpion story gives you some inspiration, a sense of what it is to long distance trail the CDT & PCT
So, now what can we do?

Let's go hike!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment