INTERVIEW WITH A THRU HIKER(Grams)

Continental Divide Trail 16

Interview With A Thru-hiker

Trail Name : Grams

2014PCT/2016CDT
23.03.2017

0. Talk about yourself?

My name is Michael, but on trail I'm being called “grams”. I started hiking in 2014 and hiked about 10.000km since then. I'm ridiculously lazy, hate carrying heavy things and being sweaty, but this never kept me from hiking long distance trails, but caused me to carry less and less stuff on each hike.


Continental Divide Trail 16

1. Why did you decide to hike the CDT?

After doing the PCT I just could not stop thinking about going on another long distance hike. The CDT felt like the next step up, it's rougher, more wild and kind of had something mysterious about it. There was little information on the CDT which just made it more interesting for me and since the PCT was a lot less wild than what I was initially hoping for, I thought the CDT might be a good next hike.

2. How many miles you cover when hiking?

It depends: As usual I started out slower, since I had no time to train in any way, so I started out with about 20mi (32km) per day, but soon did around 35mi (56km) per day. I did several 40+ (64+km) days, the longest being 47mi (75km).


Continental Divide Trail 16

3. Tell me about the memorable episode

Oh boy, there are so many things that happened during these months, it's hard to pick. I feel like the Gila River might have been some of the hardest hiking in the most beautiful place I've been to yet.
One day I hiked about 18miles (29km) into town (Silver City) had lunch, did my resupply and left to hike another 12 miles (19km)out. The next day I slept way longer than I planned, but ended up hiking 45 miles (72km) to the next town, because I really wanted a milkshake.

4. What was your favorite part of the experience?

Absolutely everything! I loved the trail and even found happiness when times where ruff.


Continental Divide Trail 16

5. What is the hardest part of hiking?

Saving the money to be able to afford living on the trail for several months!
On the trail for me it's road walking in general, it's really hard on your feet and it's very monotonous. I usually never try to divert my mind with electronics while hiking, but during some sections on the CDT I feel like listening to music and podcasts saved my mind.

6. Do you think people get addicted to thru hiking?

Yes. I am the living proof, along with many people I know who share the same passion. Once you're hooked it's hard to stop.


Continental Divide Trail 16

7. What are trail angels and what is trail magic?

Trail angels are basically all kinds of random people who help hikers in various ways. Some people offer you to stay at their homes for a night, give you food, or fill up your water bottle on a dry stretch – it can be pretty much anything. Trail magic is a similar thing, usually maintained by people who would be considered trail angels. This can be someone on the side of the road grilling burgers for hikers, or just a coolerbox with sodas somewhere in the woods. Both trail angels and trail magic are not very common on the CDT (unlike other more frequented trails in the US).
I personally got a hot coffee once and found one box with trail magic during the whole 4500km of the CDT.

8. Did you try other long distance trail? what is the difference between CDT and others?

Yes, I hiked the PCT in 2014 and did a short alp crossing (Germany to Italy, about 300km) in 2015.
The main difference is the trail maintenance or rather the lack thereof. The CDT is not very well maintained, especially up north. There are little to no signs, you have to bushwhack in some stretches or have to walk on roads. Also the CDT is just not very frequented, so it might happen that you don't see any person for days!


Continental Divide Trail 16

9. What lesson you learn on hike?

It doesn't matter if you follow a fixed trail, or take other routes to continue your hike. I learned to be more independent and that I can walk anywhere I want – no matter if there is a trail or not. You see a cool mountain somewhere close by? Just go there and summit it! 

10. Any tips for aspiring or current thru hikers?

1. Go as light as you possibly can – but don't skimp on water!
2. Don't waste your money on expensive gear. Simple solutions are usually cheaper, lighter tend to last longer than any expensive/ complicated pieces of gear. Try making stuff at home, it's easy!


Continental Divide Trail 16

11.  Any new hikes planned?

Yes, actually I will leave next Tuesday to hike the Arizona Trail and the Appalachian trail. If I still have enough time afterwards I would like to do a shorter hike in Europe again, like going from Munich to Venice.



Thanks to Grams for sharing a big of his experience with us. We really appreciate the picture and story of your hike. I hope that Grams story gives you some inspiration, a sense of what it is to long distance trail the CDT & PCT
So, now what can we do?

Let's go hike!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment